Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Benefit Fakeup....a disappointment




I was quite eager to try out this concealer ever since its release several months ago, however the £18.50 price tag seriously put me off. Benefit used to be my favourite cosmetic brand back when I was a teenager. However, now that I have tried other brands, both drugstore and high end, I now realise that Benefit are seriously overpriced for what they are. Their make up is definitely not worth the price. I could get the same quality for a fraction of the price. Anyway, back to Fake Up.

I was quite intrigued by this "hydrating ring" surrounding the actual concealer. Plus with claims of being crease-free, naturally I wanted to try this. Me wearing undereye concealer usually results in my eyes looking incredibly wrinkly, as the product quickly settles into my natural eye creases (I don't have wrinkles yet!).

I actually won this concealer on a Twitter competition, I was so happy I could finally try it out without paying the extortionate price. I chose the shade medium, as I tested these out once in Debenhams and the "light" shade was incredibly white.




I have to say I am really, very disappointed. It is a really nice looking product, the packaging looks fantastic and certainly the idea of a hydrating undereye concealer is most appealing especially to those with dry skin. My skin isn't super dry, and I am thinking perhaps this product would work better for people that do. When I first applied it, I couldn't help but feel that the product felt very "wet". It made my skin look really shiny and greasy. Within minutes it had settled into my fine lines. Also, as a "concealer", it doesn't conceal too much! The coverage is super super light. If you want to use this on blemishes, it won't work. The hydrating part of this concealer meant that when I started blending it out, the product more or less all disappeared.
 Can you see the "wet" look around the swatch here? 




So, not a great product in my opinion. Perhaps if you have really dry skin this may work for you, but I think it is a bit much calling this product a concealer when it has such light coverage. I recently just got an ArtDeco Camouflage Cream which is a terrific concealer and only cost around £7.00. 

Have you tried Benefit FakeUp? What were your impressions?


10 comments:

  1. I’ve opted not to buy this one, to be honest I just didn’t believe the whole hydration + concealing claim. Plus when you can get one a lot cheaper like the Art Deco one you got, then why would you spend! I can see the wetness around it in the pic alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, I have never used such an expensive concealer before, and it is definitely the worst i have tried!

      Delete
  2. I avoided this one too, it just looked a bit gimmicky to me and I can definitely see the wetness in the photo! It looks like it's been mixed with Vaseline! Crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The hydrating ring makes the product so moist, when you blend it you are literally just wiping the product off. Strange!

      Delete
  3. I had a completely different experience of this! Such a shame as it is my favourite under-eye concealer! Mine doesn't come out as greasy or 'wet' looking which means it doesn't settle in my creases so I'm not sure what's happened :( just goes to show how different products work on different people! But I do agree on the price tag thing, far too much for a tiny stick of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma it's amazing how one product works well for one person but not another. Me and you obviously must have different skin types? It really is crazy expensive too!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know :( I'm just glad I won it and didn't buy it!

      Delete
  5. I'm not mad about Benefit products but this one seems like more of a novelty one, at least you didn't shell out full price for it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a novelty factor here. I'd rather pay for good quality rather than just cute packaging!

      Delete