Wednesday, 4 September 2013

What is a Ziegfeld Girl?

I have just realised that this will be my 100th post! Since starting this blog, I really am so happy with how it has turned out, and how many other lovely bloggers I have met along the way. It has been a great hobby for me and it's great to have a little space on the net where I can ramble on about what beauty products I have tried! :)

I have realised that since I have chosen the name "Ziegfeld Girl Beauty" for my blog, it may be of interest to some people to actually write about what a Ziegfeld girl actually is. Ziegfeld girl has been my online alias for many years now so of course I had to bring it to the blog as well.

Broadway impresario Florenz Ziegfeld produced many lavish shows named the Ziegfeld Follies between 1907 and 1931. They were spectacular productions, musical extravaganzas, with many of the top entertainers of the day appearing in them.  But the Ziegfeld Follies were famous for their chorus girls, AKA the Ziegfeld Girls! Florenz Ziegfeld was attributed with "glorifying the American girl". The girls had to be beautiful as well as talented! They were even trained to walk the Ziegfeld Way - tall, straight and seductive!


The Ziegfeld Girls wore lavish, sensational costumes. Ziegfeld girls epitomised glamour and beauty.


Florenz Ziegfeld died in 1931. Metro Goldwyn Mayer produced a film about his life in 1936 - "The Great Ziegfeld" which won the Oscar for Best Picture that year.

MGM also put out two more films related to Ziegfeld - "Ziegfeld Girl" (1941) and "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946). This is about as close as we can get to the original Broadway shows!
Beautiful Hedy Lamarr in the 1941 film Ziegfeld Girl


I suppose what really fascinates me about the Ziegfeld Girls is how risqué they appear especially for this time, and yet how well respected the Ziegfeld Follies were. 

If you didn't know already, I have a huge interest in films and music of the 1930s and 1940s. The MGM films are how I actually discovered who Ziegfeld was. 

So, if you have managed to reach the end here, thank you for reading and I do hope this may have been of interest to you! Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. All the girls look just gorgeous!! And congrats on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) They are beautiful, aren't they!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your 100th post and thanks for this one! I did wonder where the name came from, all of the history behind it is really interesting...such glamour back then! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  3. The photos are stunning, really enjoyed this post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to hear that, thank you! :)

      Delete