Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Remembering Shirley Temple...


I must admit I was a little sad when I found out that Shirley Temple passed away today at the age of 85, and I couldn't not leave a little tribute for her here on my blog.

Old films are something I am hugely passionate about, ever since I was 12 years of age. By old, I mean from the 1920s, 30s and 40s. I have a number of "favourite" actresses from this era, and Shirley is one of my top favourites. I have seen all the films she made as a child. There is just something about her which captivated me.


Shirley absolutely lit up the screen. Not only was she an absolutely beautiful child and a natural in front of a camera, but she was incredibly talented and I love to watch her dance numbers. I think my favourite dance number is from "The Littlest Rebel" with Bill Robinson.


Not only was Shirley incredibly successful at the box office, but there were huge sales in Shirley Temple memorabilia - especially the dolls which Shirley is pictured with here. I actually own three of these dolls, which were made by the Ideal toy company. They are made of a wood composition and have a human hair wig.

I think Shirley's concrete slab at Grauman's Chinese Theatre is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen. I absolutely love looking at the photos of Shirley signing her name in the cement. It is truly a reminder that she achieved so much at such a young age. Look how tiny her little feet were!



Shirley was truly one of a kind. There has never been a child star like her, and there never will be again. She is a true legend and an absolute icon of the 1930s.

1 comment:

  1. 1935, wow! I've never seen obituaries before that focused mainly on the deceased person as a child - it just goes to show the mark she made on the film industry and the world as such a little girl. I know she went on to have other various achievements but I think she'll always be remembered as the little tap-dancing girl with the ringlets. I watched all her movies with my Nana years ago, those and Fred & Ginger, Doris & Cary - I wish there were even one slot a week devoted to showing them all again. If I'm correct, RTE used to show one every Sunday. The Bill Robinson dance is the one on the stairs, right? Amazing, I can see it in my head and I haven't seen it in years. One of a kind!

    ReplyDelete