Monday, 31 August 2015

Can you save dried up cream eyeshadows?


So recently I got the new lavender scented MAC Fix+ and I had been researching on ways to use it. I spotted online somewhere that it can be used on dried up cream eyeshadows to restore them, and I remembered about one of my faves from last year, which was the Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in New Moon. God, I was obsessed with this thing but somehow it totally dried out despite me being so careful and always making sure the lid was on tight. So here is a little experiment to see if I can fix it!


So you can see that the shadow has shrunk from the edges of the pot…


In fact it has shrunk so much that it just falls out of the pot and looks like this little dried up disc.

So first I sprayed 2 sprays of MAC Fix+ into the pot, then I got a little spatula and just started mixing it together.


At this point it started flaking like crazy and I was so upset because I just thought I had ruined it completely!


Then I just started packing it down with my finger and it began to look a lot more smooth and almost normal again.



I was afraid that the Fix+ would water the shadow down and it wouldn't look the same as it used to, but  so far the formula was pretty much the same and the pigmentation seems unaffected, fingers crossed!

So the next part of the experiment was to actually use it on my eyes!

It felt very smooth and creamy, just like when I first got it and I applied it just using my fingertips like I normally did. I always loved this cream shadow because it was like nothing I had ever seen before. It's completely multi dimensional and has pink, purple, brown, even red tones in it. I think this shadow was limited edition too which was another reason why I was prepared to give it another lease of life! I had to take the below photos with a desk lamp shining on me so you can see how incredibly sparkly it is too! 


So there is hope if any of your cream eyeshadows have died on you! 

4 comments:

  1. This eyeshadow is amazing, Grace...absolutely stunning.

    I'd be very interested to find a Vegan version of this. This eyeshadow is SO me - I'm known for my love of glitter. If it sparkles, chances are I'll want it :) haha

    I still haven't tried my UD sexy little eyeshadows yet (I had to give one away as it wasn't vegan, but the other 3 are) & I've just gotten new vegan brushes so will give that a go & see how I get on :)

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks claire! I'm the same as you, i have to have a bit of glitter!
      can't wait to hear your thoughts on the UD shadows! they look fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! This is a great idea. I have never thought of this. Well, I will surely do this to my dried out eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should Ana! Don't throw any of them away, see if they can be fixed!

      Delete